The 5 line was the longest line on LARY, running from Townsend and Colorado in Eagle Rock to Broadway and Hawthorne Blvd in Hawthorne.
When Walter Leimert opened his business center for Leimert Park in 1928, he touted it as the next Miracle Mile. Although Leimert certainly had his eye on the widespread auto ownership of the white professional/business classes, who he targeted for his development, he was also aware that many people still used public transit. Unlike A.W. Ross's Miracle Mile, Leimert also sited his center at a major stop on the Los Angeles Railway, at Vernon Ave. At that time the 5 line was called the "E" line.
For a complete tour of the 5 line's route in photos, visit http://www.uncanny.net/~wetzel/fiveline.htm.