Who needs Trader Joe's? Fresh & Easy comes to Crenshaw*UPDATED Council appproves Fresh & Easy store

The Los Angeles City Council approved plans for a Fresh & Easy at the old Crenshaw Motors Ford at 52nd Street and South Crenshaw.

But there is no timetable for when the store will open, said Fresh and Easy communications director Brendan Wonnacott. And a small group of residents have indicated they will sue to stop the non-union grocer.
---
A cool art deco Ford dealership was demolished for the store. There's been little movement since.
Fresh and Easy opened a story at Central and Adams, but that took years of planning, Wonnacott said.

--

A Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market is coming to Crenshaw Motors Ford at 52nd Street and South Crenshaw, according to L.A. Watts Times reporter Thandisizwe Chimurenga.

The cool art deco dealership that had been there 70 years was demolished for the store. Good trade.

The company, a unit of United Kingdom-based Tesco, has purchased the land and has aimed in recent years to find profits in inner-city markets — areas that many U.S. chains have long overlooked because of high land costs and perceptions of a lack of sufficient spending power in those areas, the Watts Times reports.

Fresh & Easy has also opened in the Phoenix area and I've heard great things from a friend who lives there.

Views: 876

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is always some issue (especially when new businesses want to open in the community), and unfortunately it places a snag and other foolish halts to positive movement and possible employment opportunities.

Those in the community who don't really have a stake other than yelling when they can get on any bandwagon, needs to sit down and allow progress in the Crenshaw community/Leimert Park area, and those who do have a stake need to allow other businesses to open and stop being so afraid of competition! You know who you are!

It is always the same old crap year in and year out!

And we wonder why we are so far behind! PLEEZE!!
Long time coming.... If Trader Joe's won't darken our doorsteps...kudos for Fresh and Easy!
I drive all the way to Westchester for Trader Joes and to El Segundo for Fresh and Easy.... Hooray it's about time!
I grew up in this area and moved to Rancho Cucamonga  in 1991 and jst moved back to LP Dec 2010....I cannot believe that I have to drive to other cities to have a pleasant shopping experience.  I always tell people when I was growing up in the Crenshaw area we had a thriving community,we had Linberg Nutrition...Broadway....May Company....Stride Rite....ect. I don't remember it being an abandoned ghetto....this is a beautiful area we need to hold eachother accountable....it's very frustrating to hear that Fresh and Easy backing out of coming here when in RC they are as frequent as 7-eleven as well as other major retailers....I was driving down Crenshaw and noticed the awning on a running business had several holes in it...now why would you not take pride in you business and make sure the curb apeal is up to impecable standards this will bring customers...I just feel it's up to people in the community to keep well maintained but I do agree that the Jungle and North of Arlington is a definite problem always has been for the jungle Arlington used to be nice but I see the east L.A. driving to the 110fwy....I hope that element never penetrates LP....and they need to price out and do a completed overhaul of that negative place they have named the Jungle.....I have not decided if I will remain in the area.....

RSS

Leimert Park Beat is the news and social network for Leimert Park and the surrounding neighborhoods. Stay informed. Join now!

• Got news you think everyone should know? Blog it.

• Have a show or attending a benefit? Put it on the calendar.
• Video of the big game? Embed it.
• Photos of your business or the school play? Upload them.

WHAT STORIES WOULD YOU SUGGEST? Let me know.

With your help, LeimertParkBeat.com raised money to hire reporters, graphic artists and community members to cover our area.
Read the stories - Urban Economy 411, Redevelopment Hell and One of these don't belong.

Latest Activity

Matthews White is attending Tuesday Conner's event
Thumbnail

Royal Queens Live in Leimert Park at The Vision Theatre

December 27, 2014 to December 28, 2014
Join the Royal Queens as we celebrate Kwanzaa on December 27th in Leimert Park and on the 28th for Art Walk Sunday. Honoring our past achievement, releasing negative energies we've collected and transcending into a new year whole, carefree and happy. May each of us be blessed with a new year of bliss.See More
13 hours ago
Minyan Murphy is now a member of Leimert Park Beat
16 hours ago
Debra J. Gaines (Moka)'s photo was featured
16 hours ago
Minyan Murphy promoted Karimu Ali's event Kwanzaa Heritage Festival, Block Parade & Candle Lighting Ceremony
yesterday
Profile IconLatest Events - Culver City Times

Sunday Family Fun Day!

The Help Group’s Kids Like Me invites you to Sunday Family Fun Day on Sunday, January 25, 2015 from 1pm to 4pm at The Help Group Culver City Campus 4160 Grand View Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90066

Kids Like Me programs are created especially for children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorder and other developmental challenges. We offer programs that promote social connections, skill development through fun camps, after school enrichment classes, weekend teen activities, trips…

See More
Friday
AJea L shared Jose Ubaldo's blog post on Facebook
Friday
AJea L promoted Jose Ubaldo's blog post One More Week Needed to Complete Decking for Future Crenshaw/LAX Transit Project Underground Station
Friday
Mario Hemsley's photo was featured

Gwyn Foxx, Mario Hemsley, Nils, Howard Hewitt, Phil Perry & Eric McKain.

(www.paxstereo.tv) NeoUrban Internet Television - Pax Stereo Tv is based in View Park, CA.
Friday
Profile IconLeimert Park Beat via Facebook
Thumbnail

Holiday Variety Show at Fais Do Do on Saturday, December 20th at 8:00 PM

Culver City Times

Join Santa Claus and your favorite Los Angeles musicians at Fais Do Do this Saturday, December 20th for a wonderful Holiday variety show! Tickets are $12 18 + w/ ID Doors open at 8:00…

FacebookFriday · Reply
Floyd Golden III updated their profile
Friday
Tuesday Conner posted an event

Royal Queens Live in Leimert Park at The Vision Theatre

December 27, 2014 to December 28, 2014
Join the Royal Queens as we celebrate Kwanzaa on December 27th in Leimert Park and on the 28th for Art Walk Sunday. Honoring our past achievement, releasing negative energies we've collected and transcending into a new year whole, carefree and happy. May each of us be blessed with a new year of bliss.See More
Friday
Profile IconLatest Events - Culver City Times

Register today for Advance LA's Conference: The Science of Happiness

This one-of-a-kind conference presents cutting-edge research and best practices for young adults transitional age young adults with autism, Asperger’s disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), executive functioning difficulties, learning disabilities, and mental health issues including dual diagnosis.

Time:May 1, 2015 from 8am to 5pm

Thursday
Erika Lynn Auchterlonie's event was featured
Thumbnail

Fernando Pullum Community Arts Center at Susan Miller Dorsey High School/ICM Foundation Performing Arts Center

December 19, 2014 at 8pm to December 21, 2014 at 3pm
Aladdin JRSee More
Thursday
Grayson Val is now a member of Leimert Park Beat
Thursday
Jose Ubaldo's blog post was featured

One More Week Needed to Complete Decking for Future Crenshaw/LAX Transit Project Underground Station

Due to recent rains the detour on Crenshaw Boulevard for construction of the Crenshaw/Expo underground station will need to be extended for an additional week in January. The extra time is required so that the decking can be completed for the Crenshaw/LAX Transit Project Expo station. Crenshaw Boulevard between Rodeo Road and the Metro Expo Line tracks will close from 9 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 4, to 6 a.m. Monday, Jan. 12. Excavation, installation of steel beams and installation of concrete planks is…See More
Thursday
Profile IconLeimert Park Beat via Facebook
Thumbnail

Crenshaw Blvd. open and traffic is cruising down the boulevard - from now until after the New Year - so #shoplocal can be more than a hashtag. Mark Ridley-Thomas Leimert Park VillageLeimert Park Art WalkCrenshaw Chamber of Commerce

Remember to Eat, Shop & Play in the Crenshaw for the Holidays!!

www.leimertparkbeat.com

Let's support the local…

See More
FacebookThursday · Reply
AJea L shared Elizabeth Artley's blog post on Facebook
Thursday
AJea L promoted Elizabeth Artley's blog post Aspiring Olympian Pushes Adult Swimmers As Coach
Thursday
Erika Lynn Auchterlonie updated their profile
Thursday
Erika Lynn Auchterlonie promoted Erika Lynn Auchterlonie's event Fernando Pullum Community Arts Center
Thursday

© 2014   Created by enhager.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service