Who needs Trader Joe's? Fresh & Easy comes to Crenshaw*UPDATED Council appproves Fresh & Easy store

The Los Angeles City Council approved plans for a Fresh & Easy at the old Crenshaw Motors Ford at 52nd Street and South Crenshaw.

But there is no timetable for when the store will open, said Fresh and Easy communications director Brendan Wonnacott. And a small group of residents have indicated they will sue to stop the non-union grocer.
---
A cool art deco Ford dealership was demolished for the store. There's been little movement since.
Fresh and Easy opened a story at Central and Adams, but that took years of planning, Wonnacott said.

--

A Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market is coming to Crenshaw Motors Ford at 52nd Street and South Crenshaw, according to L.A. Watts Times reporter Thandisizwe Chimurenga.

The cool art deco dealership that had been there 70 years was demolished for the store. Good trade.

The company, a unit of United Kingdom-based Tesco, has purchased the land and has aimed in recent years to find profits in inner-city markets — areas that many U.S. chains have long overlooked because of high land costs and perceptions of a lack of sufficient spending power in those areas, the Watts Times reports.

Fresh & Easy has also opened in the Phoenix area and I've heard great things from a friend who lives there.

Views: 2726

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is always some issue (especially when new businesses want to open in the community), and unfortunately it places a snag and other foolish halts to positive movement and possible employment opportunities.

Those in the community who don't really have a stake other than yelling when they can get on any bandwagon, needs to sit down and allow progress in the Crenshaw community/Leimert Park area, and those who do have a stake need to allow other businesses to open and stop being so afraid of competition! You know who you are!

It is always the same old crap year in and year out!

And we wonder why we are so far behind! PLEEZE!!
Long time coming.... If Trader Joe's won't darken our doorsteps...kudos for Fresh and Easy!
I drive all the way to Westchester for Trader Joes and to El Segundo for Fresh and Easy.... Hooray it's about time!
I grew up in this area and moved to Rancho Cucamonga  in 1991 and jst moved back to LP Dec 2010....I cannot believe that I have to drive to other cities to have a pleasant shopping experience.  I always tell people when I was growing up in the Crenshaw area we had a thriving community,we had Linberg Nutrition...Broadway....May Company....Stride Rite....ect. I don't remember it being an abandoned ghetto....this is a beautiful area we need to hold eachother accountable....it's very frustrating to hear that Fresh and Easy backing out of coming here when in RC they are as frequent as 7-eleven as well as other major retailers....I was driving down Crenshaw and noticed the awning on a running business had several holes in it...now why would you not take pride in you business and make sure the curb apeal is up to impecable standards this will bring customers...I just feel it's up to people in the community to keep well maintained but I do agree that the Jungle and North of Arlington is a definite problem always has been for the jungle Arlington used to be nice but I see the east L.A. driving to the 110fwy....I hope that element never penetrates LP....and they need to price out and do a completed overhaul of that negative place they have named the Jungle.....I have not decided if I will remain in the area.....

RSS

Leimert Park Beat is the news and social network for Leimert Park and the surrounding neighborhoods. Stay informed. Join now!

• Got news you think everyone should know? Blog it.

• Have a show or attending a benefit? Put it on the calendar.
• Video of the big game? Embed it.
• Photos of your business or the school play? Upload them.

WHAT STORIES WOULD YOU SUGGEST? Let me know.

With your help, LeimertParkBeat.com raised money to hire reporters, graphic artists and community members to cover our area.
Read the stories - Urban Economy 411, Redevelopment Hell and One of these don't belong.

Latest Activity

Dr. Angela Butts Chester posted a blog post

Cynthia Corsetti and Dr. Angela Butts Chester: Pioneering Leadership Excellence

Renowned leadership coach Cynthia Corsetti, with nearly 13 years of experience in coaching C-suite executives, unveils a groundbreaking approach to leadership development. Drawing from her extensive background as a former C-suite executive herself,…See More
20 hours ago
Stevie Mack posted a blog post

Comedian Stevie Mack Performing Live at The Comedy Store

Friday April 12th @ 6pmStevie Mack performs stand up comedy with a nice line up of funny Comedians. Location:THE COMEDY…See More
Friday

Embark on a Transformative Journey of Self-Discovery with "Emerge with Self-Love"

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEEmbark on a Transformative Journey of Self-Discovery with "Emerge with Self-Love"Long Beach, CA, March 7, 2024 – Today marks the release of a groundbreaking collaborative effort, "Emerge with Self-Love," a motivational guide…See More
Mar 7

Worlds Leaders Magazine Interviews Dr. Angela Butts Chester

Supporting Empowerment and Fulfillment through Empathic LeadershipDr. Angela Butts Chester epitomizes empathic leadership, viewing it as more than just a means to accomplish tasks and achieve goals—it’s about prioritizing people. With a deep-seated…See More
Feb 19
Feb 12
Mistah Wilson posted events
Jan 20

PASSIONEER Magazine | January 2024

Welcome to our latest issue of PASSIONEER Magazine where we unravel the secrets to thriving in the winter months with a focus on wellness, style, and unwavering resilience. In this edition, we delve into the unique challenges posed by winter and…See More
Jan 18
SPMG Media posted a blog post
Jan 5

© 2024   Created by enhager.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service