Through very limited experience, I did notice a nice gay friendly vibe in West Adams. But Jasmyne Cannick is convinced that West Adams, which is one of the largest collections of historic homes west of the Mississippi River, and home of the Six Feet Under House, is the "Black gay West Hollywood." Commenters on the post call West Adams - WeAd, just like We-Ho for West Hollywood. How cool is that?

"How Black and gay West Adams is," Jasmyne says.
"I kid you not, most of the staff at my local Starbucks are Black lesbians. Very cool. Most of my friends live in or near West Adams, and they’re Black and gay. When I walk in the neighborhood I am always seeing gay stickers on cars. Then there’s the fact that the oldest Black gay nightclub is right here too, Jewel’s Catch One. Seems awfully gay to me. Add to that, everywhere I go in my neighborhood, I see family.

"So I am officially proclaiming West Adams as a Black gay friendly neighborhood."

I had no idea.

Her bio from her Web page:
Jasmyne Cannick is a political and social issues commentator based in Los Angeles who addresses the intersection of race, class, politics, religion, and sex in the African American community. She was selected as one of ESSENCE Magazine 25 Women Shaping the World in 2005 and has appeared on CNN, Fox News, BET News, Access Hollywood, NBC's Dateline.

Views: 1029

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks for posting this. I just moved back to Los Angeles after living in gay-friendly Boston, MA and it's nice to know that members of the GLBTQ community have a place to hang without going to WeHo.

RSS

Leimert Park Beat is the news and social network for Leimert Park and the surrounding neighborhoods. Stay informed. Join now!

• Got news you think everyone should know? Blog it.

• Have a show or attending a benefit? Put it on the calendar.
• Video of the big game? Embed it.
• Photos of your business or the school play? Upload them.

WHAT STORIES WOULD YOU SUGGEST? Let me know.

With your help, LeimertParkBeat.com raised money to hire reporters, graphic artists and community members to cover our area.
Read the stories - Urban Economy 411, Redevelopment Hell and One of these don't belong.

Latest Activity

DangerMan Urbansuperhero commented on DojO-'s blog post 21st Annual CENTRAL AVE JAZZ FESTIVAL · July 30th-31st
"Who is your DangerMan Hero go to our website and tell us who they are @  www.dangermanheroawards.com  People Making California Better.."
3 hours ago
DangerMan Urbansuperhero commented on DojO-'s blog post 21st Annual CENTRAL AVE JAZZ FESTIVAL · July 30th-31st
"The DangerMan Hero Awards honors and celebrates the heroes in our community the ordinary people doing extra ordinary things  www.dangermanheroawards.com to Help Make California Better.."
3 hours ago
"The DangerMan Hero Awards is seeking nominees, visit our site @ www.dangermanheroawards.com and once there nominate your community Hero "
3 hours ago
Profile IconLeimert Park Beat via Facebook
Facebook4 hours ago · Reply
DojO- promoted DojO-'s blog post 21st Annual CENTRAL AVE JAZZ FESTIVAL · July 30th-31st
5 hours ago
DojO- commented on DojO-'s event [New Location] THE World STAGE Saturday _]azz \/\/orkshop w/ Coordinator Billy McCoy ♪ July '16
" Central Ave Jazz Festival 20th Anniversary Let’s get ready for JAZZ! SAVE the DATE!!  July 30-31  (click on embedded URLs highlighted)"
5 hours ago
DojO- commented on DojO-'s blog post CENTRAL AVE JAZZ FESTIVAL · July 30th-31st
"(click on) embedded URL Let’s get ready for JAZZ! or http://www.centralavejazz.org/ Then proceed to Performances or http://www.centralavejazz.org/?page_id=136  -  O-!"
5 hours ago
Sydney Chandler posted a photo
6 hours ago
Sydney Chandler promoted Sydney Chandler's video
6 hours ago
Sydney Chandler posted videos
6 hours ago
Sydney Chandler posted an event
Thumbnail

"A Sickside Love Affair" at 333 Live

August 6, 2016 from 6pm to 11pm
On Saturday, August 6th we bring together three of the living legends of soul music, The Delfonics (Revue) Black Ivory and John Wilson’s Sly, Slick & Wicked from Cleveland, Ohio. With class soul spinners Mike Noriega (Noriega Records) and Rene Ruelas (South Central South), spinning some of the rarest soul vinyl. This memorable event will be hosted by radio host Cece The Mamacita of 93.5 KDAY. A VIP pre-event party will take place to meet and greet the artists. The event will cater to adult…See More
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
Sydney Chandler updated their profile
6 hours ago
Del Spiva commented on DojO-'s blog post CENTRAL AVE JAZZ FESTIVAL · July 30th-31st
"Who's playing?"
7 hours ago
DojO-'s blog post was featured
8 hours ago
Bing Bing's blog post was featured
8 hours ago
Profile IconSydney Chandler and Heru Iman joined Leimert Park Beat
8 hours ago
DojO- commented on DojO-'s event [New Location] THE World STAGE Saturday _]azz \/\/orkshop w/ Coordinator Billy McCoy ♪ July '16
"[ATTENTION]  World Stage Sat. Jul. 23rd Scheduling - (as posted) Bobby West, Band Leader - piano · Reunion Trio w/ Christy Smith - bass & Fritz Wi$e - drums · 6 - 9 PM (Bobby West…"
Saturday
Bing Bing posted a blog post
Saturday

© 2016   Created by enhager.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service